Physics Alumna Dr. Whitney Ingram Honored as One of UGA Alumni's 40 Under 40 class of 2021August 31, 2021
40 Under 40 celebrates young alumni leading the pack in their industries and communities.
Each year, UGA honors 40 previous graduates who stand out as leaders and role models in their fields and communtiies. They also have to be under 40 years old.
Congratulations to Alumna Dr. Whitney Ingram for being accepted to the 2021 Class of 40 Under 40!
Dr. Ingram graduated from the University of Georgia with her BS in Physics in 2011 and PhD in Physics in 2016. She holds the honorable distinction of being the first African American female to graduate from UGA with a PhD in physics. Her research focus and dissertation were on the fabrication and application of plasmonic nanomaterials using nanosphere lithography.
Currently, Dr. Ingram is a senior R&D engineer at Sandia National Laboratories (SNL), which is a government research facility that specializes in advanced defense and intelligence technology, in addition to keeping the US nuclear stockpile safe and secure. In addition to her dedication to work, Ingram has remained dedicated to encouraging STEM for the next generation.
Since earning her PhD in 2016, Whitney has maintained her relationship with UGA. Earlier this year in February, she was the featured guest at a special Meet the Alumni event hosted by Franklin College Student Ambassadors. She also gave a special colloquium at the department's annual Undergraduate Awards Ceremony in April, 2018 where we honor our undergraduate students with their friends and families.
Additional Awards and Accolades
- Whitney has authored and co-authored over 15 publications
- She received over $100,000 in scholarship from notable organizations including the SLOAN and DOE Office of Science Graduate Research Fellowship
- Linville L. Henderson Award for Outstanding Proficiency in Physics in 2010
- Nominated for three Employee Recognition Awards for leadership, teamwork and technical innovation in 2018
- Received the highly coveted Thunderbird Award in 2019, a monetary award given to a distinct achievement
View all of the 2021 40 Under 40 honorees here (UGA Alumni).