UGA Observatory OPEN UP
Emergency Numbers 9-911 UGA police 542-2200
Loris Magnani: Home 706-369-1485 Office 706-542-2876 Cell 706-207-0714
1. If you are 'in training' you need to make sure I have said I would be there (by an OK on the schedule)
2. If you are 'on your own' I will leave the keys in my box by noon. Be sure to return them the next morning! Be sure you have contact numbers for me.
3. Both computers should be on. If not call and get the passwords. Turn the monitors on.
4. If the ACE window is not up, double click ACE icon
5. The ACE page will come up.
To initialize the telescope and open:
1. If you havenÕt done so, open the dome.
2. If the telescope is not at the zenith, set it there by using the paddle and reading the setting circles. They should be at Hour Angle = 0 and Dec = 34.2 deg. IMPORTANT: Make sure all ladders and obstructions are clear of the telescope before moving.
3. CHECK to make sure HA = 0, DEC = 33 56 53, Sec (z) = 1.000 are in the status windows.
4. Take the mirror cover off by removing the 3 nuts. There is a can to store the nuts in so you donÕt lose them.
5. Remove the cover on the finder.
6. Move ladder away from the telescope.
To move the dome:
1. The dome switch is on the west side of the pier. Toggling the switch North moves the dome counterclockwise as you look up toward the zenith. WARNING! WAIT UNTIL THE DOME COME TO A FULL STOP BEFORE REVERSING ITS DIRECTION. If the dome gets stuck you can try to move it the other way. If it sticks a lot, close down!
To begin operation
1. Load the first object and move to it. On the first move you will be asked if you want to enable tracking. Say yes. You may want to load a list of star positions To do that click right mouse button when in the object selection window (large empty window in the center). A menu will appear with the choice various options. You can save the positions of your objects or open a list for a certain lab. There are Ôstandard filesÕ for various labs that have objects for that lab. Look for the file with the lab name name. Remember planet and moon coordinates will change every night so you have to enter them fresh. You may add new objects by typing the names, coordinates and epoch into their window and clicking 'Add'.
2. You may choose an object and load it into the object selection window by double clicking it. (If you need to change its coordinates you may do so and even save the changes by clicking 'Replace'
3. Clicking GOTO and then 'Move the telescope' will move the telescope to that object.
4. You should have the first object in the finder.
5. Center the object in the finder and then in the eyepiece using the paddle.
6. Start an entry in the your Log Page
UGA Observatory SHUT DOWN
To shut down the telescope
1. Close the dome.
2. Open 'Telescope' and chose Zenith Park.
3. After telescope is stopped at the zenith. Put the mirror cover and the finder cover on back on.
4. Close the ACE control program by ÔFile/ExitÕ.
5. Turn off the monitor using the button on the front. DO NOT TURN THE POWER OFF AT THE PLUG! Do NOT turn the CCD computer off.
6. Finish your entry in your log page
7. Close the cover on the monitor stand.
8. Turn all dome lights out. DID YOU CLOSE THE DOME?
Some common problems and ways to solve them:
You cannot find your object in the telescope.
Check the coordinates of your object. Look at the setting circles to see if they read the correct coordinates. Remember the HA of an object is the sidereal time (see the ACE screen and the RA of your object.
Computer wonÕt respond at all.
Type Ctrl-Alt-Del. When the task menu comes up kill ACE and then restart it. OR type Ctrl-Esc and restart the computer. When you restart move the telescope to the zenith using the paddle and reset the zenith
Monitor wonÕt turn on.
Check the power plugs.
Objects are circles
CCD frame is divided between a dark and light area
The filter wheel is not in the right place. To reset it, turn the power strip on the telescope on. In the filter menu click reset filters and wait until it stops. It should stop at empty. Then you can choose the filter you wish. Turn the power strip off again if you donÕt need it. If this does not work try turning the filter wheel gently by hand with the knob on the motor until you feel it ÔseatÕ.